Is There a Better Description of the Christian Life Than This?
I am not what I ought to be.
Ah! how imperfect and deficient.
Not what I might be,
considering my privileges and opportunities.
Not what I wish to be.
God, who knows my heart, knows I wish to be like him.
I am not what I hope to be;
ere long to drop this clay tabernacle, to be like him and see him as He is.
Not what I once was,
a child of sin, and slave of the devil.
Thought not all these,
not what I ought to be,
not what I might be,
not what I wish or hope to be, and
not what once was,
I think I can truly say with the apostle,
“By the grace of God I am what I am.”
—John Newton (1725-1807), cited in Letters of John Newton, p. 400.
(HT: Justin Taylor)
Tags: letters of john newton
About Peter CockrellI am currently serving churches and colleges as a bible teacher, overseas and in the UK.
Dedicated to proclaiming and demonstrating the gospel of the glory of Jesus Christ.
The Plot-Line of the Bible
The Mission of the Church
- Everything you need to know to get up-to-date on why Ukraine is a mess right now (via @22words) twentytwowords.com/everything-you… - Tweeted 8 hours ago
- RT @Ligonier: “In this age, telling the truth is tough business and not for the fainthearted.” —@AlbertMohler 7 days until #lmnc http://t.c… - Tweeted 1 day ago
- Our work is great, our time short, and our Master urgent. —Thomas Watson - Tweeted 1 day ago
- The Book of Job nblo.gs/UtTj5 - Tweeted 1 day ago
- Followers of Jesus should expect injustice and misrepresentation nblo.gs/UsS16 - Tweeted 2 days ago
- The Book of Job
- Followers of Jesus should expect injustice and misrepresentation
- How to Count It All As Loss
- Red Letter Nonsense
- By His Stripes We Are Healed
- 10 Connections Between Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- Sam Storms on Life in the Spirit 2014
- The best preparation for gospel ministry
- The Prophetic John Stott
- Calvin on Typology
|Peter Cockrell on Red Letter Nonsense|
|Brian Wakeman on Red Letter Nonsense|
|SLIMJIM on You’re Not A Superh…|
|frank cooper on Yahweh Is the Sweetest Name I…|
|Dustin Burdin on The best preparation for gospe…|
|catherinecowell on The Danger of Forgetting How t…|
|Jellian Bermudez on Thomas Chalmers, The Expulsive…|
|Peter Cockrell on I Know the Plans I Have for…|
|R. Probert on I Know the Plans I Have for…|
|david on Free D. A. Carson Books|
- The Insanity of Leaning on Our Own Understanding March 7, 2014 Jon Bloom
- Five Truths About the Death of Jesus March 6, 2014 Joseph Scheumann
- 20 Quotes on Loneliness March 6, 2014 Tony Reinke
- Our Holy, Stubborn Song March 5, 2014 Gloria Furman
- Enjoy the Gift of Having God’s Ear March 5, 2014 David Mathis
- How to End Poverty in Ten Tough Steps March 6, 2014 Justin Taylor
- Adler’s Three Stages for How to Read a Book Analytically March 6, 2014 Justin Taylor
- A Tale of Two Gospels: Which One Do You Believe in and Share? March 4, 2014 Justin Taylor
- A Complete Classical Christian School Reading List: Grades 1-8 March 4, 2014 Justin Taylor
- What’s Best Next: How the Gospel Transforms the Way You Get Things Done March 4, 2014 Justin Taylor
- The True Measure of Success for Women March 7, 2014 Carolyn McCulley
- God Gives Me More Than I Can Handle March 7, 2014 Courtney Reissig
- Report: The Bible in American Life March 6, 2014 Joe Carter
- Should Every Pastor Get a Sabbatical? March 6, 2014 Matt Smethurst
- Pregnancy After Miscarriage March 6, 2014 Rebekah Hannah