Is There a Better Description of the Christian Life Than This?
I am not what I ought to be.
Ah! how imperfect and deficient.
Not what I might be,
considering my privileges and opportunities.
Not what I wish to be.
God, who knows my heart, knows I wish to be like him.
I am not what I hope to be;
ere long to drop this clay tabernacle, to be like him and see him as He is.
Not what I once was,
a child of sin, and slave of the devil.
Thought not all these,
not what I ought to be,
not what I might be,
not what I wish or hope to be, and
not what once was,
I think I can truly say with the apostle,
“By the grace of God I am what I am.”
—John Newton (1725-1807), cited in Letters of John Newton, p. 400.
(HT: Justin Taylor)
Tags: letters of john newton
About Peter CockrellI am currently serving churches and colleges as a bible teacher, overseas and in the UK.
Dedicated to proclaiming and demonstrating the gospel of the glory of Jesus Christ.
The Plot-Line of the Bible
The Mission of the Church
- What Does It Mean to Know Nothing except Christ and Him Crucified? nblo.gs/VZhz1 - Tweeted 1 hour ago
- The desire for even a good thing becomes a bad thing when that desire becomes a ruling thing. — Paul Tripp - Tweeted 2 hours ago
- Five Errors to Drop From Your Easter Sermon via @CTMagazine rpx.me/Xgft - Tweeted 1 day ago
- Take God at His Word: Kevin DeYoung on the Character of Scripture nblo.gs/VWH6w - Tweeted 1 day ago
- Cultural Engagement that Avoids Triumphalism and Accommodation thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/tgc/?p=4… via @tgc - Tweeted 2 days ago
- What Does It Mean to Know Nothing except Christ and Him Crucified?
- Take God at His Word: Kevin DeYoung on the Character of Scripture
- 10 Pastors I’m Concerned About
- That’s how you got saved
- The Hollowing Effect of Sin
- The Secret to Creating [Church] Community
- How Many People Go To Your Church?
- What’s Wrong With Producing a “Worship Experience”?
- Only in the New is the Old revealed
- Moralism is Not the Gospel (But Many Christians Think it Is)
|Brian Wakeman on How Many People Go To Your…|
|Brian Wakeman on Ten Lessons from a Hospital…|
|Mark Warden on Ten Lessons from a Hospital…|
|Sampson Agodzo on Preach the Gospel to Your…|
|Peter Cockrell on Is Church Membership Really…|
|mike on Is Church Membership Really…|
|Brian Wakeman on Lost|
|Joshua on Christ Must Satisfy My Heart o…|
|Peter Cockrell on Red Letter Nonsense|
|Brian Wakeman on Red Letter Nonsense|
- When Envy Turns Deadly April 16, 2014 Joe Rigney
- Spy Wednesday April 16, 2014 David Mathis
- Propaganda About God’s Purpose in Our Past April 15, 2014 Marshall Segal
- The Escalating Conflict (Tuesday of Holy Week) April 15, 2014 Justin Taylor and Andreas Köstenberger
- Five Helps for Your Holy Week April 14, 2014 Jonathan Parnell
- Holy Week, Day 4: Wednesday April 16, 2014 Justin Taylor
- Why It Matters Theologically and Historically That Women Were the First to Discover the Empty Tomb April 15, 2014 Justin Taylor
- Holy Week, Day 3: Tuesday April 15, 2014 Justin Taylor
- One Jesus: Four Pictures April 14, 2014 Justin Taylor
- Holy Week, Day 2: Monday April 14, 2014 Justin Taylor
- Seeking True Beauty as a Spokesmodel April 16, 2014 Bethany Jenkins
- The Assumption We Cannot Afford April 16, 2014 Jen Wilkin
- Taking Tech for Granted April 16, 2014 Richard Clark
- How to Work Ahead on Sermon Prep April 15, 2014 Jeramie Rinne
- Take God at His Word: Kevin DeYoung on the Character of Scripture April 15, 2014 Matt Smethurst