Is There a Better Description of the Christian Life Than This?
I am not what I ought to be.
Ah! how imperfect and deficient.
Not what I might be,
considering my privileges and opportunities.
Not what I wish to be.
God, who knows my heart, knows I wish to be like him.
I am not what I hope to be;
ere long to drop this clay tabernacle, to be like him and see him as He is.
Not what I once was,
a child of sin, and slave of the devil.
Thought not all these,
not what I ought to be,
not what I might be,
not what I wish or hope to be, and
not what once was,
I think I can truly say with the apostle,
“By the grace of God I am what I am.”
—John Newton (1725-1807), cited in Letters of John Newton, p. 400.
(HT: Justin Taylor)
Tags: letters of john newton
About Peter CockrellI am currently serving churches and colleges as a bible teacher, overseas and in the UK.
Dedicated to proclaiming and demonstrating the gospel of the glory of Jesus Christ.
The Plot-Line of the Bible
The Mission of the Church
- As Cool As the Other Side of a Calvinist from the Desiring God blog. desiringgod.org/blog/posts/as-… via @desiringgod - Tweeted 4 hours ago
- Don’t Let Christmas Distract You From Jesus nblo.gs/RTCiw - Tweeted 22 hours ago
- More Blessed than the Virgin Mary nblo.gs/RQlK2 - Tweeted 1 day ago
- When We Send a Person to His Death nblo.gs/RNSgB - Tweeted 4 days ago
- Clothed with his righteousness alone nblo.gs/RNHLJ - Tweeted 4 days ago
- Don’t Let Christmas Distract You From Jesus
- More Blessed than the Virgin Mary
- When We Send a Person to His Death
- Clothed in his righteousness alone
- Nobody Does Not Worship
- Union with Christ
- The Hole in the Gospel
- Piper, Platt, and Chandler on God’s Goodness in Your Pain
- Alive to God
- Overcome with Awe
|Heidi Viars on When We Send a Person to His…|
|gaustin00 on When We Send a Person to His…|
|JD Blom on When We Send a Person to His…|
|Calvin Kharshiing on About|
|boldncourageous on A Great Multitude and a Great…|
|Brian E. Wakeman on How to Magnify God|
|Brian E. Wakeman on Praise: The Consummation of…|
|Brian E. Wakeman on The Deciding Factor in Sa…|
|Peter Cockrell on How John Owen Might Have Respo…|
|Nigel Poulton on How John Owen Might Have Respo…|
- As Cool As the Other Side of a Calvinist December 10, 2013 Marshall Segal
- The Allure of Middle-Earth December 10, 2013 Tony Reinke
- For All Who Ever Lost a Child December 9, 2013 Jon Bloom
- Living with the Loss of a Loved One December 9, 2013 David Mathis
- The Hopes and Fears of All the Years December 8, 2013 Tony Reinke
- Sorrowful Yet Always Rejoicing: An Important Theme in Lord of the Rings December 11, 2013 Justin Taylor
- What Do You Think of When You Think of the New Calvinism? December 11, 2013 Justin Taylor
- An Interview on Sex, Dating, and Relationships December 10, 2013 Justin Taylor
- The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings Audio Book Sale December 10, 2013 Justin Taylor
- Simon Gathercole: Can Paul’s Theology of Atonement Be Defended? December 10, 2013 Justin Taylor
- TGC Hires Seth Magnuson and Expands Translation Efforts December 11, 2013 Ben Peays
- Tolkien and the Long Defeat December 11, 2013 Andrew Barber
- Tinkering with the Toy Industry December 11, 2013 Bethany Jenkins
- Speak Truth with Power December 10, 2013 Chris Castaldo
- Keith Getty on What Makes 'In Christ Alone' Accepted and Contested December 10, 2013 Collin Hansen